Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Have you got the 2-1-1?

The United Way of the Plains has a telephone line which facilitates critical connections between individuals and families seeking services, volunteer opportunities, or both, and appropriate human services agencies, including community-based and faith-based organizations and government agencies. To access this number, all you have to do is dial 2-1-1 on your phone or cell phone.

You can also access the 2-1-1 service online at:

When she was a Senator, Hillary Rodham Clinton introduced Senate Bill 211Congress that, if passed, would allow for grants that would encourage expansion of the 2-1-1 service. The full text of Senate Bill 211 and its related House Bill 211 , aptly numbered, may be found at:
http://thomas.loc.gov (type in sb 211 in the field provided to bring up the text)

Your Kansas State Government agencies also have various directories available online:

The Social and Rehabilitation Services (SRS) department has a similar search service to that of 2-1-1 which helps connect Kansans to the various programs it provides:

SRS also has an alphabetical list of Kansas area phone number hotlines for various services at:

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) has a list of phone numbers for their available services:

A partnership of state agencies has an alphabetical directory of the services and programs available from several state agencies at:

The Dykes Library at the University of Kansas Medical Center teamed up with libraries statewide to provide Kansans with Go Local- a free directory of health facilities, providers and services available in Kansas:

Check out the Kansas Mentoring Program directory of volunteer opportunities listed by county:

Article Contact: Kim Harp

No comments: