Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Legislators in the (state)house!

On January 12 the 2009-2010 legislature will return to Topeka to represent you in the Kansas House of Representatives and Senate. Want to know how you can provide your input into what happens in the Capitol? The following are recommendations for communicating with your elected officials.

Find out who your state legislators are by entering your address at:

Find out their contact information at:

Click on either House or Sentate and then on the roster in the middle. Select the name of your legislator; this will bring up a picture and the contact information for your legislator

OR you can call the Legislative Hotline, a service of the State Library, to leave a message for your legislator. 1-800-432-3924

Talk to your legislators about what concerns you:

1. When emailing or writing a letter to your legislator address him or her as Honorable Representative or Honorable Senator

2. Be sure to include how your concern affects people in your area

3. Offer background information to support your argument

4. Offer to testify to your argument

Find out more about your legislators:

Histories of elected officials

Legislators Past and Present

No comments: